Andi Lloyd – Lloyd Marine.
Dart Harbour are a trust port who comply to the Port Marine Safety Code. The Port Marine Safety Code, states that the Duty Holder, (the Dart Harbour board) must appoint an individual as the “designated person” to provide independent assurance directly to the duty holder.
Andi Lloyd, a former MCA surveyor, now trading as Lloyd Marine, is the Designated Person for Dart Harbour.
The main responsibility of the Designated Persons role is to provide the duty holder with independent assurance that Dart Harbours Safety Management System is working effectively and to audit their compliance with the Port Marine Safety Code. In order to fulfil this function the Designated Person must have a thorough knowledge and understanding of the requirements of this Code (and supporting Guide to Good Practice) and associated port and marine legislation.
Other aspects include;
- Monitoring and auditing the thoroughness of the risk assessment process and the validity of the assessment conclusions.
- Monitoring and auditing the thoroughness of the incident investigation process and the validity of the investigation conclusions.
- Monitoring the application of lessons learnt from individual and industry experience and incident investigation.
- Assessing and auditing the validity and effectiveness of indicators used to measure performance against the requirements and standards in the Code.
- Assessing the validity and effectiveness of consultation processes used to involve and secure the commitment of all appropriate stakeholders.
The role of the Designated Person however, does not absolve the duty holder and its board members of their individual and collective responsibility for compliance with the Code.