Feedback on Stakeholder Consultation – North Embankment Access Improvements
After discussion at the Annual Public Meeting and with our stakeholder groups Dart Harbour held a meeting on the 6 Feb 2020 to gather views from the public and stakeholders on a potential development to improve access on the North Embankment in Dartmouth. This note summarises the feedback from the meeting and from feedback forms returned to the office in February 2020. The full analysis of feedback is at the link: Consultation Feedback
- There is overwhelming support for the initiative to improve access to the water at the North Embankment for a wide range of river users (including those with disabilities). This is perhaps no surprise because the project is consistent with the agreed vision and strategy of the Harbour Authority.
- The facility should be appropriately designed, to suit the settings, to maximise access, be safe, sustainable and fit for purpose.
- The overarching support for the project is reflected in strong support for the preliminary project brief. The suggested refinements have been applied to the revised brief below:
“The development of concept proposals for the modification and improvement of the Double Steps Pontoon at Dartmouth.
With full consideration to the project drivers, constraints and opportunities described herein, concept proposals should seek to address the following as a minimum:
- Improve public access to the pontoon addressing health and safety concerns.
- Improve access to the water for a range of river users and stakeholders, including leisure users, commercial operators and those with disabilities. It must be user-friendly.
- The introduction of a deep-water landing for 12 men craft and the “Noss to Dartmouth Ferry”.
- The facility should be of modern design, safe, sustainable, fit for purpose and in keeping with the surroundings
- At the concept design stage some of the finer detailed and more specific comments may be too early for consideration. It will be important however that this summary document and the specific comments are revisited at each stage to seek to ensure that relevant comments and issues are addressed.
- The initial engagement provides a strong foundation to move to the concept design stage and the consideration of options.
The next stage of the project will be to develop a proposal based on emerging options and concept proposals. A formal consultation will be undertaken once these have been prepared.View more news